Assessment is a broad term that includes all of the various methods used to determine the extent of an individual’s achievement. Below define the classification of assessment in 5 categories
1-Based on Purpose
2-Based on Scope
4-Mode of response
Classification of Assessment based on Purpose
Classification of Assessment based on Purpose There are –
Placement Evaluation, Formative Evaluation, Diagnostic evaluation, Summative evaluation
1. Placement Evaluation :
- To determine the entry behaviour at beginning of the instruction. This evaluation process, know the knowledge, skills, and objectives of instruction Ex-Interview, Entrance, Individual inventory
2. Formative evaluation :
- To determine the learning process during the instruction. It’s playing a vital role in the evaluation process. It’s formation the knowledge
- to provide continuous feedback to both teacher and student.
- It’s the improvement of learning and instruction.
- Exam. Monthly Test, Weekly Test, Quarterly Test, etc
3. Diagnostic evaluation :
- To determine the learning difficulties during the instruction.
- It’s diagnostic the problems
4. Summative evaluation.
- To determine the learning achievement at the end of the instruction.
- These techniques used include teacher-made achievement test.
Example – Annual examination, Semester Exam.
Functions of Summative Evaluation :
- Summarizes the final progress of the student as a result of a course of learning unit or lesson.
- Results may be safely used for making comparisons among, students, placing them in order of mentor taking decisions about their promotion and awarding degree or diploma.
- Gives overall feedback and a final picture of the student can be obtained. Judges the achievement of objectives on the basis of learner’s performance.
- Lastly provides reinforcements to the teacher concerned for the success or failure of a program.
Classification of assessment based on the scope
There are classified under three main categories
a) Observational Techniques
c) Self-reporting techniques